Borrowing and Renewing Materials
Getting a Library Card
- Bring a valid California driver's license or I.D. card and proof of your current residential address to the Main Library or the North Branch Library. Registration services end fifteen minutes before closing time. Please see the second page of Application Form for details.
- Children are eligible for a card at age five. A parent or guardian must co-sign registration forms for young people under the age of eighteen.
- Library cards expire 3 years from the date that they are issued, and need to be renewed (effective January 1, 2016).
- The Application Form is available online to download. Or, you can apply for a limited Online Library Card, and begin using our Electronic Resources, cloudLibrary and rbDigital from home once you receive the card in the mail (in about two weeks). To check out library items (including eBooks and other digital materials), you will need to visit either the Main Library or the North Branch Library to upgrade the online library card for full borrowing privileges.
- 1 Week: Adult feature film/TV program DVDs, children's entertainment DVDs, and children's holiday books (in season).
- 2 Weeks: Interlibrary Loans (ILLs).
- 3 Weeks: All adult, teen and children's books (except children's holiday books), audiobooks on CD, music CDs, foreign language DVDs, nonfiction DVDs, magazines, pamphlets, and engravers.
- Loan periods on digital materials.
- The renewal loan period starts on the day that the item is renewed.
- Renew online through our Website. Please select "My Account."
- TELECIRC Telephone renewal system (call 310/937-6661).
- In person or by phone on or before the due date.
- There are two renewals per item.
- Renewals on interlibrary loans are dependent on the owning agency. Renewals are not available on items that have been placed on hold for another user.
Separate book and audiovisual return bins are located outside the Main Library and the North Branch for 'round the clock return of materials. If materials are dropped in the bins before the library opens, items will be treated as if they were returned the prior open day.
Why wait in line when you can check out your own books, CDs and DVDs? Just use the Self-Check machines located by the entrances of the Main Library and the North Branch Library. Follow the simple instructions and receive an itemized receipt, including due dates.