Harbor and Dock Preparations
The Fire Department recommends boaters and harbor area users to prepare for the El Nino storm. Be sure to check the below list to help in the preparation.
- Top Deck Penetrations – Replace seals or duct tape potential leaks, repair latches.
- Bilge Pumps – Ensure they are operational and automatic. They should also be effective and appropriately sized.
- Batteries/Fuses – Ensure batteries are strong & topped off. Have spare fuses available for bilge pumps. Shore power CANNOT be relied upon.
- Dock Lines – Check condition and number of dock lines. Consider adding spring lines to allow for surge & security. Add chafing gear if needed.
- Drains/Scuppers – Clear deck drains of debris and equipment to allow for proper run off.
- Equipment – Stow any loose equipment that is usually on the deck. Lash or stow Bimini, furl sails and secure rigging.
- Access – Ensure immediate access to bilge spaces and engine rooms on vessels. Keep dock fingers clear at ALL times (exception: boat steps).
- Underway – All safety equipment shall be on board per CFR’s. Anchors, VHF radio & electronics also recommended depending on conditions. Operate within personal limitations and always leave a buffer for unexpected changes.
- Lifts/Hoists – Vessels on lifts & hoists should be lowered during wind or surge events associated with storm conditions.