Open a Business
How to open a business in Redondo Beach:
Contact the Planning Department at City Hall and make sure the zoning is correct for your new business address.
Every business must meet zoning requirements to insure that its business category and site are compatible. Before signing a lease or investing in a location, check with the Planning Department. You can view the city zoning map here.
The Planning Department is located at:
415 Diamond Street
Redondo Beach, California 90277
File a fictitious name statement and file your DBA ("doing business as") name in a local newspaper.
- Prior to filing a fictitious name statement, it is recommended that you call the Los Angeles County Clerk's Office and determine if your business name is already in use.
Permit Assistance Center
Business Revitalization Center
201 North Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, California 90012
Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.,
Monday - Friday
- To file a fictitious name statement, you must contact the local newspaper. The paper will file your DBA statement and publish your new business name.
South Bay Tower
21250 Hawthorne Blvd., Suite 170
Torrance, CA 90503
Contact the State of California to file proper State Tax forms and obtain labor standards for employees. Obtain a State Board of Equalization resale permit, if required.
- If your business will have employees other than yourself, contact the Employment Development Department for information on state withholding taxes, disability and unemployment insurance.
- State Board of Equalization for "selling or acquiring any tangible items for repair or use in their business."
- For businesses employing only the owners, contact the Franchise Tax Board for state withholding and corporation state taxes.
- Contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for your employer identification number. The IRS will also provide a "business person's kit," seminars for new businesses, additional information and required forms.
- Contact the Small Business Administration which provides financial and management training to assist you in your business operations.
A) If you have followed the first steps, you should be able to supply the City with the following information for a business license:
- Fictitious name and any County or State permits.
- State resale permit number from the State Board of Equalization, if required.
- Health Permit (contact the County's Health Department)
- Zoning Inspection
- Fire Inspection (contact the Fire Department)
- Alcoholic Beverage Permit (contact the State Dept. of Alcoholic Beverage Control)
- Contractor's License (contact the Contractor's State License Board)
- All necessary Building Permits (contact the Building Division)
- Your business name and address
- Your business telephone number
- Description of your business
- The number of employees on staff
- The property owner's name and the telephone number of the person to contact in case of an emergency
- The name, address, and telephone numbers of any contractors who will be involved in the operation of your business
- Your social security number
- Your Federal I.D. number
- Your State employee I.D. number
- Your Driver's License number
- A check. The business license clerk will calculate the permit cost based on the type of business and the number of employees.