Constructed around the turn of the century, the Morrell House is a combination of Queen Anne and Craftsman detailing. It was originally located one house north of Diamond Street on the east side of North Catalina.
It was occupied by the Morrell family from its construction until the mid 1950's. The home was one of the first houses in Redondo Beach to have electricity and had a barn out back where the Morrell's raised chickens! The home was originally furnished by Barker Brothers of Los Angeles. The original exterior colors were white with black, which are the colors also chosen for the restoration.
The Morrell House was designated as a local landmark in February of 1991.
Restoration The Historical Society, along with many volunteers and donations, spearheaded the complete restoration of the Morrell House.Facing demolition in 1989, the house was moved to Heritage Court.Since June of 1990 through April 2006, volunteers spent thousands of hours restoring the house.
Restoration efforts include a new foundation, new roof, rebuilt fireplaces, substantial earthquake retrofitting, exterior paint stripping by had to the bar wood and repainting, refurbishment of windows, replacement of new window panes with old wavy glass, replacement of the electrical and plumbing systems, replastering of interior walls, and construction of handicap access.Period furniture has been added, but is still in progress.
The Morrell House is located in Heritage Court which is located at DominguezPark on Flagler Lane (between 190th and Beryl St) in Redondo Beach. For Tours and Information about the Morrell House, please contact the Redondo Beach Historical Society Facility Director, Linda Aust, at (310) 379-6409.
Heritage Court is located at Dominguez Park on Flagler Lane Between 190th Street and Beryl Street in Redondo Beach.