Calls for Artists
City of Redondo Beach Request for Qualifications for a Pre-Qualified Mural-Artist Roster
The City of Redondo Beach Public Art Program sees public art as a way to create engaging public spaces that bring people together, enrich their lives and build a sense of community. The City’s Public Art Commission strives to select artists who can reflect what is authentic and unique about Redondo Beach while imaginatively envisioning its future.
The Redondo Beach Public Art Commission currently has a number of identified mural projects. Artists are encouraged, therefore, to apply as soon as possible since applications will be reviewed as they come in, and approved Artists may be invited to submit proposals for one or more projects as soon as the Roster contains enough artists to facilitate a competitive RFP process. This call may end or be reopened at any time. These guidelines may be amended at any time.
REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS (RFQ)
The City is requesting Artists interested in being included in the Roster to submit the application accompanying this call. The Roster will include site responsive visual artists working in any mural medium, style, or technique, including aerosol, mosaics, ceramics, paints, stencils and more. Applicants must demonstrate the professional capacity to oversee the design, implementation, and production of a mural project for the City of Redondo Beach – a process that may include making presentations to the public, overseeing all aspects of mural production, and executing a project in a public space.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION STATEMENT
There is strong interest in developing a robust Roster that is inclusive of artists from a rich diversity of backgrounds and cultures and who reflect a wide range of experience, creative visions, aesthetics and approaches. Artists being considered for selection shall never be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or based on an individual’s status in any group or class protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
HOW WILL THE ROSTER BE USED?
The Roster will be used to identify Artists to invite for future Request for Proposals competitions, either exclusively or in combination with an open call, if necessary. Artists selected to create and submit design proposals will be compensated commensurate with the specific project's complexity and budget. Budgets for mural projects may range from $10,000 to $100,000.
WHAT ABOUT PUBLIC ART PROJECTS OTHER THAN MURALS?
Artists selected for the Roster as well as Artists not selected for the Roster may apply to any open call issued by the City assuming they meet all of the eligibility requirements identified in the call.
HOW TO APPLY
This is an online-only application process.
All materials must be submitted online, via the CaFÉ™ website (www.callforentry.org)
There is no application fee to apply or to use the CaFÉ™ system.
To view the application:
- Go to www.callforentry.org.
- Register a username and password.
- Navigate to “Apply to Calls.”
- Search the list for “City of Redondo Beach Request for Qualifications for a Pre-Qualified Mural-Artist Roster.”
Review criteria will include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Excellence in quality of art or design
- Durability, safety, and practicality of completed projects
- Ability to create artwork that is reflective of the soul and spirit of a community
- Ability to manage projects on time and on budget
- Technical knowledge of best practices for wall preparation techniques and safety requirements for working on scaffolding, lifts, and ladders
Artist Selection Panels consisting of Public Art Commissioners or a combination of Public Art Commissioners and other public art stakeholders will review all eligible submissions and recommend Artists to the full Public Art Commission which will decide which artists to include in the Roster.
Inclusion in the Roster does not guarantee a commission.
- RFQ Release: March 1, 2023
- First review of applications: As early as March 22, 2023
- Deadline: May 10, 2023
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
The application submission must include the information and materials listed below, all of which are required to constitute a complete application. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- Six (6) images of Past Work
- Annotation of Images
- Answers to five (5) open-ended questions
- This opportunity is open to Artists residing in the United States.
- All applicants must be at least 18 years of age and have all necessary documentation and permits to work in the United States at the time of submittal of qualifications.
- Artists who are currently under contract with the City for an existing project may respond to this RFQ.
- If submitting as a team, a professional Artist with public art experience (represented by their portfolio of work, awards, collections, and exhibitions) must be the lead team member.
- All members of Artist teams must reside in the United States.
- Artists who apply as part of a team may also apply as an individual artist.
QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS RFQ
Please contact Gary Margolis via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
FOR QUESTIONS ABOUT CaFÉ™
Assistance using the CaFÉ™ system is available during regular business hours (Mountain Time) by calling 303-629-1166 or 1-888-562-7232, or via e-mail at email@example.com.