Levels of Review
California Vehicle Code 40215 identifies the process to contest a citation. You may contest your parking citation by following three progressive steps:
Administrative Investigation Initial Review
- Complete and submit a Request for Administrative Investigation Initial Review form at the Redondo Beach City Hall, 415 Diamond Street, Door E or by mail. Please include current phone number and e-mail address.
- You can print a copy of the Request for Administrative Investigation Initial Review here.
- You can call (310) 318-0617 to request a copy of the Request for Administrative Investigation Initial Review form by mail, FAX, or email.
- You can obtain a form in-person from the Parking Enforcement office at 415 Diamond Street, Door E.
- You do not have to pay the citation until the Administrative Investigation Initial Review is complete, and you have been found liable to pay the citation.
- A hold will be placed on your citation upon receipt of the Request for Administrative Investigation Initial Review form.
- You should receive a response to your request for cancellation by mail within 21 calendar days.
- If the result of the Administrative Investigation Initial Review is that you are liable to pay the citation, you may either pay the penalty to conclude the matter or request an Administrative Hearing.
- If the result of the Administrative Investigation Initial Review is that you are not liable to pay the citation, you will receive written notification that the citation has been dismissed. Your citation will be canceled, and you do not have to take any further action.
- If you are dissatisfied with the results of the Administrative Investigation Initial Review, you must within twenty-one (21) days of the mailing date of the results of your Administrative Investigation Initial Review:
- Make a request for an Administrative Hearing by telephone, in writing, in person, or email.
- Complete, sign and submit a Request for Administrative Hearing form with a photocopy of your citation, and
- Submit the full amount of the parking citation penalty (or verifiable and substantial proof of indigent status). All fees due from the citation must be paid before and Administrative Hearing date is provided unless indigent status is accepted.
- Provide your written explanation on the form that explains why you believe the citation should be canceled. Include any documents that you feel are relevant to your appeal.
- Request an in-person or mail-in hearing before a hearing examiner by:
- Requesting an in-person hearing appearance by making an appointment by calling (310) 318-0617.
- Requesting a review of your written appeal by the hearing officer and submitting your appeal in writing by mail or at City Hall.
- Maintain copies of your Administrative Investigation Initial Review form and any evidence submitted to support your statement; materials submitted for review will not be returned.
- An administrative hearing must be held within 90 calendar days following the receipt of the request for a hearing.
Appeal - Civil Court Action
- If you disagree with the results of the Administrative Hearing, you may appeal the hearing results in the Superior Court civil court pursuant to Vehicle Code 40230(a).
- You may not request a Civil Appeal unless you have already received the results of your Administrative Investigation Initial Review and Administrative Hearing and have been found liable for the citation at each of these appeals.
- You must file your civil appeal within thirty (30) calendar days from the date of the Hearing examiner’s decision at the Civil Division of the Superior Court of California Los Angeles County and must pay a $25.00 filing fee collected by the court.
- If your citation is unpaid due to a previous request for a waiver pending the decisions of your Administrative Investigation Initial Review and Administrative Hearing, you must pay your citation in full to the City of Redondo Beach before filing your civil appeal.
- You may inquire about the civil court appeal at the Superior Court of California Los Angeles County, Stanley Mosk Courthouse, 111 North Hill Street #102, Los Angeles, CA 90212.