Animal Services


Animal Control Unit

Redondo Beach City Hall
415 Diamond Street, Door 2
Redondo Beach, CA 90277


 Animal Control & Parking Enforcement Supervisor

  • Nicole Merrill

Office Hours

  • Monday-Friday 8:30 AM - 12PM and 1:30PM - 4PM. 
    • The counter is closed between 12PM - 1:30PM for lunch.
    •  Please Note: City Hall is closed alternating Fridays  

Animal Control Office

  • (310) 318-0611
  • Call during Office Hours

Police Dispatch for Animal Control

  • (310) 379-5411
  • Call during non-Office Hours


Services Provided

Animal Services officers perform the following services:

  • Identify and reunite stray animals with their owners when possible (report missing/lost pet)
  • Enforce barking dog and animal noise complaints
  • Patrol the City to deliver enforcement and care services
  • Respond to citizen complaints about animal issues
  • Pick up deceased pets 
  • Enforce pet license and permit laws

Barking Dog Complaints

Municipal Code 4-24.502 prohibits excessive barking.

Your neighbor’s barking dog constitutes a violation of the law when:

  • The dog barks more than five minutes in any hour.
  • The dog’s barking is audible at the complainant’s property line. 

RBMC 4-24.502 

No person shall keep or maintain, or permit the keeping of, upon any premises owned, occupied, or controlled by such person, any animal or fowl otherwise permitted to be kept which, by any sound or outcry, shall result in noise levels at the complainants property line which are audible for more than five (5) minutes in any hour.

Download Barking Dog Report form 

Dog Licenses

The laws for dog licensing are defined by the Redondo Beach Municipal Code. See sections 5-1.105, 5-1.107, and 5-1.109.

Dogs over the age of four months:

Must be licensed within 30 days of taking residence in the City or becoming the owner or custodian of the dog

  • Must be licensed annually
  • Must wear the metal license tags on the caller to be readily visible
  • Must have a current rabies vaccine

Visit the Financial Services Department pet licensing page for the current license fees.

No license required for a CAT

Leash Laws for Redondo Beach

  • Your dog must be attached to a leash if:
    1. You are in a public place
    2. You are on private property that does not confine the dog in an enclosed area
  • The leash shall not be longer than six (6) feet

Animals in Parks

Redondo Beach municipal code 4-35.08 prohibits animals within City parks except for identified walking paths, the City’s dog official dog park area or City approved special events. Visit the RB Dog park website for more information. 

Nondomestic Animals

  • Certain nondomestic animals must be permitted by the City of Redondo Beach.
  • You must have a separate permit for each nondomestic animal maintained in the City.
  • Redondo Beach Municipal Code 5-1.401 defines exotic nondomestic animals.  
    • Nondomestic animals include any animal which is customarily kept for agricultural purposes including but not limited to chickens (including birds bred for fighting or other sort), ducks, pigs (including Vietnamese Pot Bellied pigs), goats, horses, cows, minks and ermines or other animals bred for fur, sheep, turkeys, geese.

How do I obtain a permit for my exotic or nondomestic animal?

  • Request a permit application from the Animal Services Unit
    • By mail
    • By obtaining an application at the Animal Services office at the Redondo Beach City Hall, 415 Diamond Street, Redondo Beach, CA 90277 Door 2, or download the online permit application.
  • Complete the application and return it to the Animal Services to arrange property check.
  • It is a misdemeanor violation to maintain a nondomestic animal within the City of Redondo Beach without a permit.

Marine Mammals

What should I do if I see a whale or dolphin on the beach?
Contact Marine Animal Rescue immediately at 1-800-399-4253.

Are dogs allowed on school grounds?

No, dogs are not allowed on school grounds.  The Redondo Beach Municipal Code ( ) addresses this issue as follows:

5-1.602 School grounds.
 Dogs, with or without a leash, are hereby prohibited on any portion of any public school grounds, except organized pet shows, vaccination clinics, and obedience schools which may be authorized from time to time by the public school administrator, Seeing Eye dogs, dogs used in law enforcement activities, and any other dogs authorized by the public school administrator. (§ 3, Ord. 2471, eff. September 3, 1987)

How can I dispose of a dead animal?

Call Animal Control at 310-318-0611 for removal.

How can I volunteer to work with animals?

You may contact Los Angeles County Animal Care and Control, or Los Angeles SPCA  They both have programs for volunteers.

The Redondo Beach Dog Park uses volunteers.  You may contact them at

How do I handle a dangerous animal or a snake on my property?

Call Animal Control immediately at 310-318-0611.  If this occurs when City Hall is closed, contact the police department at 310-379-5411.

How do I handle a problem with bees?

If you need information on bees and related bee problems, please visit

If a swarm is active and stinging people, call 9-1-1.  If you notice bees coming from a structure (building, fence, etc.), then call the Police Department at 310-379-5411.

You may find more information at

How do I handle a problem with rats & other pests?

Rats and other pests are best handled by commercial pest control companies.  If your neighbor has conditions that harbor rats, contact LA Vector Control at 310-915-7370.

How do I report a stray animal?

Call Animal Control at (310) 318-0611 to report a stray animal.  Please have as much of a description as possible and a direction of travel for the animal.

How do I report an abused pet?

Call our Animal Control immediately at 310-318-0611 and give us the appropriate information on the suspected abuse.

If the suspected abuse occurs while City Hall is closed, contact the police department at 310-379-5411.

What are the leash laws?

"The Redondo Beach Municipal Code Addresses the Issue as follows:" 
5-1.103 Dogs at large.
 It shall be unlawful for any person to permit any dog, when harbored or controlled by him, to run at large on any public street, alley, lane, park or other public place or in or upon any unenclosed lot or premises in the City unless he is restrained by a substantial chain or leash not exceeding six (6') feet in length and he is in the charge, care, custody or control of a competent person; provided, however, that no dog shall be allowed or permitted on any beach or in any store, market, restaurant, cafe, lunch room, soda fountain, bakery or kindred establishment wherein vegetables, meats or other foods for human consumption are served, sold or kept for sale. Any police officer or the Poundmaster is hereby authorized to enter upon any private premises for the purpose of enforcing the provisions of this chapter. No person shall refuse to obey any lawful order of such officer made in the performance of his duties within the powers conferred upon him by law. (§ 4, Ord. 1479)
5-1.104 Dogs on fenced property.
 Nothing contained in this chapter shall be construed as preventing the owner or custodian of any dog from permitting his dog to be at large upon property owned or controlled by the owner or custodian provided such property is enclosed in such a manner as to prevent the dog from escaping therefrom. (§ 5, Ord. 1479).

You may find more information at

What are the regulations for the maximum permissible number of pets?

No more than three (3) dogs or cats at least four (4) months of age may be kept on any lot or premises within the City.

You may find more information at

What do I do about a problem with barking dogs?

There are a number of remedies available.  Call Animal Control for details at 310-318-0611. 

More information is available at

What do I do if an animal bites me?

If you are bitten by an animal in Redondo Beach, you should first contact your physician immediately.  Animal Control (310-318-0611) should be contacted to file a report.

What do I do if I have lost my pet?

Call our Animal Control (310-318-0611) department and report your pet lost.  We can then check our records and see if your pet was picked up by us as a stray.  You should then visit the local animal shelters SPCLALA County Animal Care and see if your pet is there.  You may also wish to place a "lost" ad in the local newspapers.  If your pet is found, call our Animal Control and let us know so that we can take the pet off the lost list.

Losing your pet is distressing.  You can take some preventative steps though.  First of all, license your pet.  For dogs it is a requirement, but the benefit is that if our animal control staff ever picks up your dog, we can easily identify him/her and promptly return your pet.  Secondly, if your dog spends time outside, make sure he/she is contained in a yard from which they cannot escape or jump the fence or wall.  Often, dogs will explore, especially if there is a new scent in the neighborhood.  Dogs which are roaming freely are sometimes hit by vehicles resulting in tragedy for all involved.  Do your pet a favor, license them and make sure they are secured!

You may find more information on the Animal Services page.

What do I do if my pet is sick or injured?

If your pet is sick or injured, contact your veterinarian and seek their assistance immediately.  If you do not have a veterinarian, you can consult your local phone book for a veterinarian in your area.

Where are the dog parks?

The Redondo Beach Dog Park is located at the corner of Flagler Lane and 190th Street.  For information about the dog park and events there, you may visit them online at

Where can I find rabies information?

For information about rabies, please visit the following website:

Where can I get my pet spayed or neutered?

You should consult with your pet's veterinarian to have this procedure done.  If you are looking for a low cost option, Los Angeles County Animal Care and Control performs this service:

There are other private clinics that perform this service.  Consult your local phone directory for a listing of those clinics.

Where do I get a license for my animal?

Please contact the Licensing Division in the Financial Services Department at (310) 318-0604 or click on the link below for more information on animal licenses:

Where do I go to adopt a pet (dogs, cats & rabbits)?

Many places provide pet adoption services.  You may contact Los Angeles County Animal Care and Control at (310) 523-9566 to see about adoption from that shelter.  Los Angeles SPCA also has adoption from their shelter.  You may contact this agency at (310) 676-1149 or at for more information.  The Friends of Redondo Beach Dog Park offer pet adoption days also.  You can reach them at  There are also private pet stores that often have pet adoption days.

Where do I go to give away my dog or cat (for adoption)?

You may relinquish your pet at SPCA/LA Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact our Animal Control staff at 310-318-0611.

Where is the animal shelter?

The Animal Shelter is operated by the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Los Angeles and is located at 12910 Yukon Avenue, Hawthorne CA 90250. Phone Number 310-676-1149, email –

12910 Yukon Avenue

CA 90250
Phone: (310) 676-1149